Indian in England

Musings of a student

Monday, February 20, 2006

Life stops for no one

THAT girl in the corridor, that girl in torn jeans and blue jumper who flashes a smile and moves away: what does she know of me?

That girl in the front row, that girl with her hair piled all high who scribbles down every word I say: what does she know of me?

That girl at the door, that girl in a skirt too short for this winter day who mutters an apology as she walks in late: what does she know of me?

They know nothing of me. I know nothing of them.

They could tell me tales that would make me weep. I could tell them my brother died today.

If we did, perhaps we would look at each other for a second and say an awkward sorry before we went back to what we were.

He dies, you die, I die; life stops for no one.

Life stops only for the one who died.

5 Comments:

Blogger R. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Chindu said...

Thanks a ton, Rabin.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs Chindu. How are you doing.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Chindu said...

Thanks, Ph. Fairly well, surprisingly. This was my cousin, btw, my parent's surrogate son in my absence. I am surprised at how we can move on!

9:51 AM  
Blogger jemgal said...

Yes, we can and we do move on! But the death of a loved one leaves a gap behind in our lives and it takes a lot of time to come to terms with the loss and then slowly filling the emptiness that this death has left us with.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home